Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Oktoberfest!!

Time for some grown up time =) Allan and I, and about 18 other people from our base, snuck away for 4 days to go to the one and only, original Oktoberfest in Munich. We had an absolute blast and I would encourage everyone, especially the beer drinkers, to go sometime. It was so much fun! I didn't realize how big it was. There are 6 huge beer tents (and a handful of smaller ones) that each hold 6,000 people and then a wine tent that holds probably 4,000 and then there is a carnival and a big livestock show. We went Tuesday through Friday last week and even during the week it was packed. I can't imagine what it would be like on the weekends.

From Wikipedia:
Oktoberfestbiers are the beers that have been served at the event in Munich since 1818, and are supplied by 6 breweries known as the Big Six: Spaten, Löwenbräu, Augustiner, Hofbräu, Paulaner and Hacker-Pschorr. The original "Oktoberfest" occurred in Munich, on October 12, 1810. Since its beginnings the Oktoberfest has thus been canceled 24 times due to war, disease and other emergencies. It was also estimated that approximently 6 milllion people visit Okoberfest. Needless to say, it was our most fun trip!


Allan and I on the first night at the Hofbräu Haus




Allan had a little too much fun the night before. This was on the train the next morning going back to the fairgrounds.


Allan in front of the Hofbräu Tent


The first beer at the Houfbräu tent


My good friend Sarah and I posing with an old man. I wish that you could see his whole outfit. Most of the Germans dress in the traditional garb complete with lederhosen!


Some more guys in their outfits


Allan with the pretzel girl


Allan and Adam prosting


The Spatenbräu tent


It is amazing how many glasses of beers the ladies can carry. They move so fast, it is hard to get a good picture.


Allan and I in front of the statue "Bavaria." She is there to watch over the fairgrounds. For a nominal fee you can climb up inside of the statue...so I couldn't resist.


A picture taken from the top of the statue.


The big fountain in the middle of Munich. Yes we did do a little bit of sightseeing ;)




Last but not least...what would a trip to Munich be without visiting the Marienplatz with its Glockenspiel.










2 comments:

The Rambler said...

Wow!!! I'm so jealous right now! Mike and I were discussing a trip too, his darn work travel plans got in the way though. If you plan on going again next year, please, please, please let us know!!! Oh, btw, "prost" in Romanian means stupid. It would take a Romanian to mess up such a happy word! LOL!!!

The Gardiner Family said...

SOOO Jealous! Adult time, what is that? It looks like you had a ton of fun. I had no idea the number of people that attend Oktoberfest! What a once in a lifetime opportunity your family is having!